The commercial start-up of the first of four nuclear reactors that South Korea’s KEPCO is building in United Arab Emirates is set to be delayed because the local operating company is not ready to run the reactors, a nuclear industry source said. Barakah is one of the world’s few major nuclear newbuild contracts, which Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) won in 2009, beating a rival consortium led by more established French reactor maker Areva. Since then, the four reactors have been built on time and on schedule, a rare feat in a nuclear industry plagued by cost overruns and multi-year delays, with the first of the four on scheduled to be completed this month.
Daily Mail 4th May 2017 read more »
Initial construction has been completed at the UAE’s first power reactor, Barakah 1. The operating company, Nawah Energy Company, must gain approval from national regulators before the final stage of loading fuel and bringing it into service. The APR-1400 pressurized water reactor has been built by a South Korean consortium for its customer Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation (Enec). Initial construction covering 95% of work is complete, including tests of safety systems, said Enec. The remaining 5% of construction is the commissioning the reactor and final preparation of its 277 systems. This process starts with loading nuclear fuel into the reactor core, an operation which cannot take place until the Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation (FANR) issues an operating licence to Nawah Energy Company, a joint venture of Enec and Kepco.
World Nuclear News 5th May 2017 read more »