The decommissioning work at Sellafield has passed a major milestone with the completion of the defuelling operations at Calder Hall. That means the world’s first industrial-scale nuclear power station to be connected to the national grid is empty of fuel for the first time since the 1950s. Calder Hall consisted of four Magnox reactors, two turbine halls and four cooling towers, which were demolished in September 2007. The power station was opened by the Queen in 1956 and first electricity was sent to the town of Workington in Cumbria. Calder Hall’s Magnox design was the template for Britain’s first generation of nuclear power stations and the technology was exported around the world.
Energy Live News 3rd Sept 2019 read more »
NDA 3rd Sept 2019 read more »