Hundreds of campaigners have gathered outside the Senedd over plans to move mud dredged from alongside a new nuclear power plant to near Cardiff. Developers want to dump 300,000 tonnes of mud off Cardiff Bay from Somerset’s Hinkley Point C nuclear power site. Protesters want more tests before the move can happen and the licence granted by Natural Resources Wales revoked. EDF, the company behind the project, said mud had been tested “independently to highly conservative standards”. Several hundred people were at the protest on Monday afternoon organised by independent AM Neil McEvoy. “Many more people are aware now and horrified, and we want the Welsh Government to intervene,” said the Cardiff councillor. A Welsh Government spokesperson said NRW’s decision was based on “expert advice” and added tests concluded “the material is within safe limits and poses no radiological risk” to people or the environment. Plaid Cymru MEP Jill Evans was at the protest and believes in the precautionary principle. “If there is any doubt, you take note of that doubt and you don’t go ahead unless you are absolutely confident there is no danger,” she said. “And I don’t believe that’s the case here”.
BBC 27th Aug 2018 read more »
Wales’ biggest quango has said it would open itself up to a legal action it would be certain to lose if it sought to revoke a dumping licence for 300,000 tonnes of mud from a nuclear site. On Monday a demonstration took place outside the Senedd in Cardiff Bay against the dumping of the mud dredged from the coast off the Hinkley Point nuclear power station. A licence has been granted to allow the mud to be dumped at Cardiff grounds, close to the coast of south Wales near Penarth. Thousands of people signed a petition expressing concern that the mud could pose long-term health threats and hundreds turned out in Cardiff Bay to show their opposition. Those opposed to the dredging argue we cannot say for sure that the 300,000 tonnes of mud that could be deposited on the Cardiff Grounds site is safe because the full range of tests needed to establish there is no radioactive risk have not been carried out. Neil McEvoy AM argues that not enough samples have been tested and that not enough types of test have been done. But Natural Resources Wales insists the mud is safe.
Wales Online 27th Aug 2018 read more »