The creators of the world’s first microwave-powered boiler have said it can provide a straightforward, zero-emissions replacement for the gas boilers that heat most homes in the UK. Heat Wayv is building prototypes and expects to trial the boilers in homes by the end of 2022, with the first sales to customers targeted for 2024. It says a unit suitable for a three- or four-bedroom home would cost about £3,500, the same as an equivalent gas boiler. The Heat Wayv unit is the same size as a gas boiler and has 10 metres of pipe coiled inside, which is heated at multiple points along its length. The microwaves are produced by solid state components, which can be tuned specifically to heat water and better targeted than the magnetrons used in microwave ovens. Electricity usage will be about the same as an electric oven, the makers say. They say the boiler is 84% efficient in converting electricity into hot water, and another 12% of waste heat is recycled, giving a total efficiency of 96%. The company’s first product, a portable microwave heater, is now in production for military customers. Paul Atherton, another co-founder, said: “The beauty of our microwave boiler is that it is completely compatible with existing home radiators.” He said the company would initially target the 170,000 new homes built each year, which will not be allowed to install gas boilers from 2025.
Guardian 16th March 2021 read more »