In response to the accelerated pace at which corporates are examining and setting net-zero targets to help alleviate the climate crisis, edie has launched a new spin-off of the Sustainable Business Covered podcast. Up next, smart grid discussions with E.ON and Nottingham City Council. The latest episode, supported by E.ON as part of the smart grid master series, edie speaks to Nottingham City Council’s head of energy services Wayne Bexton on the council’s efforts to transition its own operations to net-zero emissions by 2028. This, according to Bexton, involves an array on innovative smart grid projects and as the world recovers from the coronavirus pandemic, he anticipates that more organisations will look to these types of solutions. Nottingham is laying the groundwork for smart grids and flexibility. Projects and programmes are starting to be delivered. Last week Nottingham adopted its Carbon Action Plan Roade Map to 2028. This goes into the 3 strands of work: Commercial, domestic and transport. Despite achieving a 41% reduction in emissions from a 2005 baseline, we are still aware there is a lot of work to do. Eight years ago solar was expensive and business cases were difficult. Battery storage, demand side management and district heating are all going to advance over the next eight years. Nottingham now has 40 Nissan Leaf electric vehicles which can connect to a Vehicle to Grid system. These discharge into batteries so any spare electricity can be used at peak times. Aiming to deliver another 450 deep retrofits. Around about 20% of what Nottingham does is really innovative and the Council is good at leveraging funding for that work. The other 80% is standard use of technology. 5,000 domestic solar systems and we own another 80 plus commercial scale systems. A grid connection is a major part of the business case for any new systems and they can fall down on the cost of connection and we are working to alleviate those pressures on the grid in the city, so we don’t see business cases fall foul of a really expensive grid connection cost.
Edie 3rd July 2020 read more »