China

China is expected to make a decision on a 100 billion yuan ($14.5 billion) reprocessing plant for spent nuclear fuel very soon after work on one proposed site was suspended amid protests last year, an executive with France’s Areva said on Thursday. Jean Pierre Gros, Areva’s senior vice-president, said a final decision on the plant was now closer to an end. “China still wants to commission this plant by 2030, which means that we have to start the construction quite soon,” he told an industry conference. The proposed plant is being built by the central government-run China National Nuclear Corp (CNNC) in collaboration with Areva. Discussions between the two sides began 10 years ago. The plant will be modeled on Areva’s facilities at La Hague in western France. It will be capable of processing 800 tonnes of spent nuclear fuel a year. Areva will design the plant and provide key equipment and services.

Reuters18th May 2017 read more »

Share

Published: 19 May 2017